I was curious, so I went looking. Here’s what I found:
• Alice’s Bookshop : 629 Rathdowne Street, Carlton North
• Already Read : 98 Scotchmer Street, North Fitzroy
• Books For Cooks : Munro Buildings in the Queen Victoria Market
• Bound Words : 283 Hampton Street, Hampton
• Brown & Bunting : 237 High Street, Northcote
• City Basement Books : 342 Flinders Street, Melbourne
• Essendon 2nd Hand : Shop 2, 134 Pascoe Vale Road, Moonee Ponds
• Fully Booked : 824 High Street, Thornbury
• Golden Bowl Books : 280 Sydney Road, Coburg
• Grub Street Bookshop, 379 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy [Facebook]
• McLeods : 10 Station Street, Nunawading
• The Merchant of Fairness : South Melbourne Market / 237A Whitehorse Road, Balwyn
• New International : Trades Hall, 54 Victoria Street, Carlton
— NIBS also carries a large range of new titles of interest.
• Page After Page : 963 Canterbury Road, Box Hill
• Page Two : 99 George Street, Fitzroy
• Sainsburys Books : 534 Riversdale Road, Camberwell
• Syber’s Books : 38 Chapel Street, Windsor / 668 Glenhuntly Road, Caulfield
* Sadly, Allsorts in Northcote CLOSED in DEC last year.
** Barwon Booksellers in Geelong is very good; so is The Book Barn in Daylesford.
*** The Book Grocer has several outlets in the CBD, and while not second-hand often carries Remainders Of Interest.
**** The 9th annual ‘Melbourne Anarchist Bookfair’ is once again taking place at Brunswick Town Hall on Saturday, August 11. Entry is free and childcare is available. Along with stalls there’ll be various workshops and presentations. For more deets see the MABF website.
Horton Books on Smith St?
Sinbad Books closed the store in Carnegie and went back to trading via home (nice Algerian dude moved to France ’67 just in time for interesting times there BTW)
Just Books Bairnsdale/Lakes Entrance has some good bits at times
One just past Cranbourne I’ve passed but not gotten to get into
oh, and a fucking top notch bookshop in Castlemaine, which I can’t remember the name of
several shops in Maldon had large book sections, while not being purely bookshops, still had decent amounts
AFAIK, Horton Books is closed; mostly, I’m concentrating on ‘inner’ Melbourne.
Bound Words in Hampton
Cheers — will add.
Books for Cooks – culinary books at the Queen Victoria Market
Cheers — have added to list.
Barwon Booksellers closed its doors December 24 2018
I believe, if my customers haven’t fibbed that Alice’s has also closed. Building sold, new landlord… 🙁
I just checked & yr half-right: the shop is closing, just not quite yet, and they’re currently having a SALE before they close (with doors to shut in a coupla weeks).
Though the Looking Glass Bookstore at 1669 Burwood Highway in Belgrave.
Thanks Sue — it’s on the list.
And by list, I mean this one >>> https://slackbastard.anarchobase.com/?p=47805.