This week on Yeah Nah Pasaran! we talk to Ray Acheson [Twitter]. Ray is an abolitionist, organiser and the author of Banning the Bomb, Smashing the Patriarchy (Rowman & Littlefield, 2021) and Abolishing State Violence: A World Beyond Bombs, Borders, and Cages (Haymarket, 2022). We spoke to Ray about their work as the Director of Reaching Critical Will — the disarmament programme of the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) — and with International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), the campaign to Stop Cop City in Atlanta, Georgia and the meaning and possibilities of abolitionism.
• Banning the Bomb, Smashing the Patriarchy ‘offers a look inside the antinuclear movement and its recent successful campaign to ban the bomb. From scrappy organizing to winning the Nobel Peace Prize in 2017 and achieving a landmark UN treaty banning nuclear weapons, this book narrates the journey of the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) and developments in feminist disarmament activism.’
• Abolishing State Violence ‘argues that abolition is transformative. It is about defunding, demilitarizing, disbanding, and divesting from current structures of violence, but also about imagining new ways to organize and care for each other and our planet, and about building new systems and cultures to sustain ourselves in a more equitable, free, and peaceful way. It shows that change is possible.’
See/hear also : Countering militarism: In conversation with Ray Acheson, Radioactive Show, 3CR, April 1, 2023 | Stop Cop City, Ray Acheson, Counterpunch, February 9, 2023 | Australian Anti-AUKUS Coalition (AAAC).
4.30pm, Thursday, April 6, 2023 /// 3CR /// 855AM / streaming live on the 3CR website
• A longer version of this episode will be available as a podcast on Apple, Spotify and other platforms after broadcast.
• We also have a Facebook page for the show, which you’re invited to ‘Like’ and to ‘Follow’.
• I have a Patreon account which youse are also invited to support.