Update (October 16, 2019) : Jock Palfreeman released from Bulgarian detention centre after being granted parole, ABC. Jock needs financial support for ongoing legal costs and living expenses while he awaits the court’s decision. You can donate to him here.
Update (October 7, 2019) : The court met but has reserved its decision for some point in the future — probably several months. Jock, meanwhile, is forced to reside in detention. See : Jock Palfreeman’s fate unclear after Bulgarian court adjourns Australian’s parole hearing, Bridget Brennan, ABC | Jock Palfreeman remains in limbo as Bulgarian court adjourns his case, Josh Dye, The Age | Jock Palfreeman remains behind bars as Bulgarian court adjourns hearing, Ben Doherty, The Guardian | Jock Palfreeman could face further two months behind Bulgarian bars after case adjourned, SBS (AAP).
Update (October 2, 2019) : Originally scheduled to meet on October 23, Bulgaria’s Supreme Court of Cassation is instead convening on October 7 to address the application from Bulgaria’s Prosecutor-General to overturn Jock’s parole.
• As you may be aware, Jock Palfreeman is currently languishing in a migrant detention centre in Sofia, despite having won his parole a few weeks ago.
• I’ve written an article about Jock’s situation for Overland, which you can read here.
• Last week, Cam & I interviewed Caro Staples about Jock’s case, which you can listen to here.
• Ash Dupre started this petition to Scott Morrison (Prime Minister of Australia) to Bring Jock Home, which you can sign here.
• Antifa International has published a call-to-action:
IT’S TIME FOR US TO TAKE ACTION TO DEFEND JOCK!
1) Write to the Bulgarian ambassador in your country to demand that Sotir Tsatsarov revoke his appeal of Jock’s parole and that Bulgaria immediately release Jock. Find a list of Bulgarian embassies here.
2) Contact the Bulgarian Prosecutor’s office to demand that Tsatsarov revoke his appeal of Jock’s parole and that Bulgaria immediately release Jock. Contact information here.
3) Contact Australian foreign minister Marise Payne and demand that Australia take the strongest action possible to convince the Bulgarian government to revise the appeal of Jock’s parole and release Jock to Australia immediately. Contact information here.
4) Contact Australian prime minister Scott Morrison and demand that Australia take the strongest action possible to convince the Bulgarian government to revise the appeal of Jock’s parole and release Jock to Australia immediately. Contact information here.
5) Share this information widely – an immediate, large, and vocal response from Jock’s supporters around the world may be the difference between Jock’s freedom and nine more years in a Bulgarian prison!
• A solidemo has been organised for Thursday, October 10 in Sydney:
WHEN : 5.30PM
WHERE : Sydney Town Hall (483 George Street, Sydney)
WHY : Bring Jock Home
MORE INFOS : Facebook