Bakers Delight at Low Wages, Poor Conditions

‘Bakers Delight’ is the name given to a chain of bakeries around Australia, mostly franchises. The company was established in 1980, and its co-founders, Roger and Lesley Gillespie, are now sometimes to be found on Australia’s Rich List. In September, Roger Gillespie (who last made the Rich 200 in 2004 with a fortune of $100 million) bought the Victorian discount grocery chain, NQR.

Their own corporate profile reads:

Bakers Delight is Australia’s most successful bakery franchise.

Over the past 29 years this Australian owned company, has grown to over 700 bakeries across three countries, serving 2.5 million customers each week.

Every day, in every bakery, Bakers Delight bakers create a range of traditional and gourmet breads. All products are baked from scratch, fresh daily on the premises.

Bakers Delight bakeries are distinctive in appearance, branding, product quality and customer experience.

The company’s philosophy underpins every action: Delightful Environment, Delightful Service, Delightful Product.

Also, in the case of Bakers Delight stores in St. Helena, Diamond Creek and Laurimar: No Penalty Rates, No Guaranteed Hours, No Sick Pay and No Holiday Pay.

How Positively Delightful!

The friendly sales assistants at Bakers Delight stores in St. Helena, Diamond Creek and Laurimar (Victoria, Australia) are currently negotiating a new workplace agreement. So far their employer, Wayne Price, has offered them an agreement that does away with penalty rates, guaranteed hours, sick pay and holiday pay in exchange for a tiny bit extra in the base rate. Mr. Price has also refused to include yearly pay increases to cover the cost of living. On top of this the workers are being bullied and told they are not allowed to discuss the agreement or talk to the union. They are under constant video surveillance and feel intimidated by Mr Price. They would really appreciate your support! All the workers are asking for is to receive Award entitlements like penalty rates for working nights and weekends, security of hours and sick pay and holiday pay. Currently they don’t receive these entitlements, with some workers receiving as little as $9.29 an hour! While you pay top prices for your bread, the employees are working under conditions that undermine industry standards.

Let Bakers Delight know that you will not tolerate the exploitation of young workers. The workers are fighting for:

Penalty rates on evenings, weekends and public holidays;
    Guaranteed shifts and security of hours;
    Sick pay and holiday pay;
    Guaranteed pay rises every year to cover the cost of living;
    An end to workplace bullying and over-supervision.

These are the conditions other workers in the retail industry enjoy.

Bakers Delight’ workers deserve them too!

For more infos on this and other industrial campaigns in the retail and services sector, please see the UNITE website.

About @ndy

I live in Melbourne, Australia. I like anarchy. I don't like nazis. I enjoy eating pizza and drinking beer. I barrack for the greatest football team on Earth: Collingwood Magpies. The 2016 premiership's a cakewalk for the good old Collingwood.
This entry was posted in State / Politics and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Bakers Delight at Low Wages, Poor Conditions

1. Not that silly says:

I work for a bakers delight around geelong somewhere.. No penalties at all, boss is intimidating, and i only get given weekend work with them knowing i have a family.. God forbid something happens when you can’t work, your hours get cut to the very minimum.. As much as i like the job, i hate the environment.. If worksafe were ever to come have a look at the shop, it would be shut down due to oh&s issues..

2. Not that silly says:

As much as the pay is actually not too bad for a sales assistant just over $22 hr as older employee.. Being the junior on close is actually quite demanding.. All the senior has to do is the till at close, then it’s left up to the junior to clean everything, even while the bread collectors are taking their time.. Then once the senior is finished, they just stand there on their phone, or watch you clean asking are you done yet, instead of helping to get the job done quicker so we can leave on time.. If we stay later, we don’t get paid any overtime unless we’re asked to stay back.

Keep in mind, the juniors are given half hour to do all the cleaning.. What a joke!

Oh.. But even with the workload of the junior’s, we’re expected to help the seniors with the end of day leftover count, and read it back to the senior so they can put any end of day waste in the system.

But yet, when i talked to my supervisor about the seniors not helping once they’ve finished with the till, the supervisor actually told me “they don’t have to help you if they don’t want to” but yet i’m expected to help them?!!

I enjoy most of the people i work with (obviously you won’t get along with everyone) but the way they operate is so unprofessional.

I had been telling them for couple weeks, one weekend i won’t be available, they said no worries, next day there was a memo saying that the availabilities of certain people is getting ridiculous and won’t be tolerated.. Wth..

We also have no air conditioning, so on a hot day it’s like we’re working in a sauna!

3. neil white says:

As a retired employee of a major communications company I can say that I am appalled and disgusted by the details presented by some of the employees of b’delight. I’m sure the fair work ombudsman would investigate and prosecute employers who fail to provide their employees with their legal entitlements. If you are a franchisee I would expect that you would pay your staff their legal entitlements or if you don’t you shouldn’t be in the business. I certainly would not want my children exploited by any employer.

4. Nicole Howell says:

Well I have worked at Bakers Delight for a few years now, and I can honestly say that it is an amazing company to work for. I work in Singleton, which is in the Hunter valley, and we have an awesome team of bakers and sales girls. There are lots of complaints here about nasty bosses so I guess we are lucky to have such great franchisees. Don’t think that every bad experience complained about on here is the same in every bakery. I love my job and the people I work with. Working at Bakers Delight is a lot of fun believe it or not 😊. – NH

5. Emma-rose says:

I am SO glad I wasn’t the only one with a bad experience at Bakers Delight! I worked there for 2 years from age 17 and the pay was ridiculous. Around $9 an hour. It wasn’t a hard job, but still deserved a little more than that!
    My manager was in love with her job but hated everyone. All the girls out the front were great. Seriously great group of shop girls. The bakers we had at the beginning were actually a good bunch, but they began to drop off and we got some crazies in.
    We were allowed to take a loaf and 4 rolls home at the end of the day. THAT’S IT! Charity only came on a Tuesday because apparently if the bread is donated, the owner couldn’t claim it on tax. We would spend each night bagging up at least 12 bags of fresh bread just to be thrown in the bin.
    The bakers would come in first thing to yesterday’s unsold bread. How motivating.
    We didn’t get any penalty rates ever, no Saturday or Sunday rates and no annual leave even though we were part time.
    Despite it being a horrible company to work for, and a crazy management system I’m glad I did work there.
    I met some lovely shop girls. We did enjoy bonding over the crazy workplace we belonged to and got some good friendships out of it.

6. Sandy says:

Is there a baker out there who wants a tree change? Independent bakery in Tenterfield NSW keen to employ a baker. Work in a great team for an employer who values you and your contribution. If so post your interest.

7. K.R says:

As the fiancé of a second year apprentice, I can definitely say that it is usually the franchisees who make most of the trouble for the employees.

At my partner’s store, the old franchisees (also head baker and 2IC) would be constantly threatening my partner’s job. One of the first weeks he was there he became really ill, so much so he had to be hospitalised and they threatened his job and continually brought up the subject for the next year until they decided they couldn’t handle the business any more and left on a 10 month holiday.

Since they sold the franchise back to BD, all the employees have smiles on their faces. They look forward to going to work. My partner willingly gets up an hour earlier to get more work done as opposed to sitting in the car park for two hours for fear of being a minute late despite the fact we live exactly 6 minutes away from the store.

If you want to run a BD franchise, you better have a good sense for business and a calm, clear head on your shoulders otherwise you are just not going to cut it. If you’re going to bully your employees into working hard for you, maybe you should invest your money elsewhere.

8. Brian says:

What everyone here fails to notice is one simple thing, FRANCHISE OWNERS ARE NOT BUSINESS OWNERS EVEN THOUGH THEY THINK THEY ARE.

These guys had a little spare cash and walked into an established business, promised the earth and simply cannot meet expectations. These people did not have to grow their business from scratch, no marketing skills, no bargaining skills with their suppliers, no supplier sourcing, DO NOT HAVE AN IDEA ON HOW TO GET STARTED in business… NOTHING. Us guys who start our business from scratch, hard at work growing our brands are offended at these plastic business owners who think that a little coin without any consideration to others will buy you into life, this is not humane.

It is time that all employees who know that they are working in unfair conditions, NO MATTER IF YOUR CONTRACT STATES THAT YOU ARE NOT TO JOIN A UNION, IT IS YOUR LEGAL RIGHT TO JOIN A UNION and they cannot take it away from you. You can carve it in stone but if it is not legal, it does not stand.

Join a union, you can do it on the side without your employer knowing, pay your dues and if they overstep the boundaries, you are not on your own but you have a team of lawyers ready to pounce at no extra cost or headaches to you. If they try to discriminate against you for union membership or action of any sort, inform your shop steward / rep, they will see the owners in court putting them in their place. OVERALL.

Save your conditions, get them re-instated to the NES (National Employment Standards) and get job security all at once by joining a union, set these TRY HARD FRANCHISE OWNERS STRAIGHT and show them what it really takes to grow, run and make a business successful the old fashioned way without putting the small man in poverty conditions.